Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Dietary Changes

.
:


Since starting to follow the NT type diet (whole, unprocessed foods, fresh full-fat milk, butter instead of margarine) rather than the US standard of using vegetable oils sparingly, devitalized salt, sugar and dairy, grain-fed conventionally raised meats, I've discovered that I'm not only feeling better (in general, my energy level is much higher than it was before), but I've also lost about 5 pounds this month ONLY by making that change. I think I may be eating a little less, but that's simply because in eating this way, I don't get as hungry, nor do I really get cravings for lots of junk.

I haven't ventured too far into the fermented foods arena as yet. I have made a punch using the NT recipe that Ben likes. I started it about a month ago, and King B has done most of the drinking of it. The other night he had some with dinner, and it has turned from a lemonade punch to lemon wine. It tastes different, but not bad! I also just recently made some cucumber pickles that Buddy likes, Pigeon said weren't crunchy enough (King B concurred). I haven't been brave enough to try them yet, after Pigeon complained that they were soft. I really should.

I've also been making Sourdough Drop Biscuits that are so yummy! They go so well with Chili and Spaghetti. Here is my recipe: (they are not totally NT, as the entire amount of flour is not soaked, although I suppose if I mixed it up early enough in the day and let it sit before baking, that would work... hmmm...)

1 cup sourdough starter
1/3 cup oil (I use coconut oil)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup flour (I've been using freshly ground wheat... I LOVE my heavy duty Kitchen Aid!!)

Mix all together. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 - 15 minutes at 350 degrees F

Enjoy!


Blessings to you,

No comments: